- November 15, 2021
- Comments: 0
- Posted by: admin
The Christmas spirit takes over downtown Mount Clemens on Friday, Nov. 19 with the arrival of Santa, the unveiling of a huge Christmas tree and a variety of family-friendly activities in local shops and businesses.
Festivities for the 30th annual Uptown Mount Clemens Christmas Open House will take place near the Fountain Stage on Macomb Place.
The event runs 5-9 p.m. and ushers in the start of the holiday season for the city’s array of restaurants, bars, unique shops, hair salons, music stores and other businesses.
“It’s a wonderful opportunity for families to spend quality time together and with Santa and Mrs. Claus at this leisurely event,” Michelle Weiss of the Mount Clemens Downtown Development Authority said in a news release.
According to Mayor Laura Kropp, Landscape Services of Clinton Township has set up a 25-foot Christmas tree on Macomb Place, which will be glowing with holiday lights and decorations from Pine Street to Main Street to provide a festive holiday scene.
The fun begins at 5 p.m. on the Fountain Stage, located on Macomb Place between North Walnut and Pine streets.
Santa and Mrs. Claus arrive by horse-drawn sleigh at 6 p.m. and will cue the lighting of the holiday decorations and a new 25-foot-tall live Christmas tree. The mayor will present Santa with a key to the city and lead the singing of Christmas carols.
Free Santa Pass photo appointment reservation cards can be made at the Fountain Stage starting at 5 p.m. Appointments are scheduled in half-hour intervals. DDA officials say reservations fill up quickly and are issued on a first-come, first-serve basis. For the best time selection, guests should plan to arrive early.
Photos with Santa will be taken 6:30-9 p.m. in Pop’s Sweet an Treats at 90 Macomb Place. Families are advised to bring their own cameras.
Several downtown businesses will offer special sales, raffles, and giveaways. Family-friendly activities will take place throughout the evening including:
• The Children’s Discovery Center of Macomb will be open 5-9 p.m. at 54 Cherry Street with activities, crafts for kids and more.
• Free horse-drawn trolley rides around downtown are available 6:30-9 p.m. The boarding station will be the northwest corner of Macomb Place and North Walnut Street.
• Kids can make their own ornaments at Ardis Music, 49 North Walnut.
• A Prize Wheel Give Away will be held at Anton Art Center, 125 Macomb Place
• Craft kit for kids at The Bohemian Goat, 69 N. Walnut.
• Free candy canes at Studio 58 Salon & Spa, 58 N. Walnut.
• A store raffle takes place at Paperback Writer Books/Weirdsville Records, 61 Macomb
• Decorate your own chocolate bar at Champagne Chocolates, 65 Macomb Place, Suite E
• Free cider and donuts will be available at Thomas Nevin Jewelers, 64 Cherry Street
• Make a snowman ornament at The Nest, 66 Macomb Place
• Free ornaments will be available at Max & Ollie’s Vintage Boutique, 65 Macomb Place
The annual Santa Parade takes place the next day, Saturday, Nov. 20 on Main Street.
For more information regarding the Christmas Open House in Uptown Mount Clemens, call the Mount Clemens Downtown Development Authority at 586-469-4168.