NOW: Officer Timothy Barber arraigned today, out on bond – ABC 57 News

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video
SOUTH BEND, Ind. — On October 5, South Bend Police Officer Timothy Barber was accused of having an inappropriate relationship with a sixteen-year-old girl, and was put on paid administrative leave. Barber was arrested Tuesday in Elkhart, and had now been formally charged with two counts of child seduction– a level five felony– two counts of misconduct and a charge of public indecency and public nudity.
According to the probable cause affidavit, the thirty-six-year-old used his position as an officer to pressure the sixteen-year-old into having sex with him, and would show up to her workplace in uniform and on duty– and he allegedly took her to a secluded spot for sex in the patrol car– twice.
The victim’s parents saw suspicious messages on the victim’s cell phone, and went to the Mishawaka Police.
According to South Bend Police Chief Scott Ruszkowski, “When it was reported, I immediately got a phone call.”
The investigation into Barber involved numerous agencies, including Mishawaka Police, the St. Joseph County Special Victim’s Unit, as well as both Elkhart and St. Joseph County officers.
Chief Ruszkowski said he is disgusted by the accusations.
“If all this is said and done, and there’s a final conclusion to this, I don’t know if I could be any more sick to my stomach than I am right now,” he said. “But there is a possibility.”
Barber is now on unpaid administrative leave, pending the results of the trial and could be fired if found guilty. 
The public is being urged to speak up to police regardless of the situation, to help put a stop to criminal behavior, whether by an officer or anyone else.
“Somebody said something,” said Ruszkowski. “Somebody came forward and said something. Did say it us, meaning me? No, not right away. Throwing all that aside, somebody said something. Regardless of how it came about, somebody said something to get this rolling to the point where we are now.”
Barber’s bond had been set at $10,000, but he was bonded out around 5:37pm. A no contact order is in place to keep him away from the alleged victim. His first court date has been set for November 3, 2021.

source

Book an appointment