Mum left ‘looking like Quasimodo’ after horror allergic reaction to eyebrow tint, doctors said it could hav… – The US Sun

A MUM looked 'like Quasimodo' after a horrifying allergic reaction was so severe, doctors said it could have killed her.
Clare McGuire, 34, from Greater Manchester, got her eyebrows waxed and tinted at a salon for the first time last week on Wednesday (October 13) and says she's still suffering from 'scabby' eyebrows three weeks on.
Clare says the beauty technician incorrectly applied her patch test to her hand and advised her to leave it on for only an hour, meaning her allergic reaction didn't show up before the treatment.
The traumatised care worker has vowed never to get her eyebrows tinted again after the ordeal, and has shared pictures of her dramatic allergic reaction to warn others to get a proper patch test done.
Just a few hours after getting her eyebrows done Clare's face became red and itchy and she called 111 where an operator advised she go to hospital for the reaction.
That evening, Clare went to Trafford General Hospital in Trafford, Greater Manchester, where she was given an EpiPen shot and steroid tablets before being allowed to return home.
The mum-of-two was stunned the following morning when she woke up to discover her face had ballooned overnight, including her tongue.
Clare returned to hospital where horrified doctors claimed the swelling was so severe that Clare could have choked in her sleep.
Clare, from Stretford, Greater Manchester, recounted the events: "Red spots started appearing around my eyebrows so I messaged the girl that did them and she said to take some antihistamines so I did.
"But then a couple of hours later I started swelling up and my eyes started closing so I rang 111 and they told me to go to the hospital.
"In hospital they gave me an EpiPen shot and steroid tablets and sent me home but it got worse overnight, so the next morning I went back and they put me on an intravenous drip.
"Urgent care said because my tongue had swollen I could have choked. I got told I could have died, it was really scary.
"Over the next few days it just got worse – my eyebrows went really red and were swelling, scabbing and seeping.
"I thought I looked like Quasimodo and my sons told me I looked like the Elephant Man.
"I wear glasses but my face was too swollen to put them on for three days."
The mum decided to book in the appointments to get her eyebrows waxed and tinted and have eyelash extensions done for the first time for a confidence boost.
She booked in at a salon and went for a patch test the day before her appointment.
However, Clare claims the beauty technician applied the test on her hand and only told her to leave it on for an hour.
It was only after carrying out research of her own after the horror reaction that Clare realised that patch tests need to be left for a minimum of 24 hours to allow time for delayed reactions.
"Doctors said if I had a reaction like that again it would kill me so I'll never do it again, I'll stick to threading."
Clare said: "I'd never had any waxing or tinting done before, I always just got my eyebrows threaded.
"The day before I went for a patch test and she tested the tint for the eyebrows and the glue for the eyelashes and told me to leave it on for an hour.
"I was out for the rest of the day so I left it on for longer and there was no reaction.
"But I found out after that she should've done the patch test behind my ear and it should've stayed on for at least 24 hours and she should've known that because of her training."
Doctors prescribed steroid tablets, antihistamines and antibiotics to help reduce the swelling from Claire's allergic reaction and to fight off infection from her 'scabby' eyebrows.
After three weeks she is still healing but thankful that her face isn't as swollen anymore after her sons Matthew Fryers, 15, and Mark Fryers, 13, joked that it made her look like 'the Elephant Man'.
She is now warning others to make sure they have a proper patch test to avoid a potentially life-threatening reaction like she had.
Clare said: "It's been three weeks and I'm still not back to normal – I've still got redness and scabs and I'm worried they're not going to grow back properly.
"Doctors said if I had a reaction like that again it would kill me so I'll never do it again, I'll stick to threading.
"People need to know this can happen and make sure they get a patch test behind their ear and leave it on for 24 hours."
Plus I'm a police officer but people say I'm too glam and I get mistaken for a stripper.
And, I suffered 3rd-degree burns to my boobs after fainting in a boiling pot of water making tea, my friend saved my life.
Meanwhile, I used a menstrual cup and it took me 33 HOURS to get, I even tried a spoon to ease it out.
FABULOUS BINGO: GET A £5 FREE BONUS WITH NO DEPOSIT REQUIRED
Meg & Harry fans all saying same thing about 'hypocritical' net zero vow
Queen's shock at 'spotting GHOST of Elizabeth I haunting Windsor Castle'
See Stockard Channing then & now as Will Smith reveals he "fell in love" with her
Clue that gives away truth about Kim & Peter's relationship status
© 2020 THE SUN, US, INC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED | TERMS OF USE | PRIVACY | YOUR AD CHOICES | SITEMAP

source

Book an appointment